SAUNA– pronounced “sow-nah” – a centuries-old traditional steam-bath and ritual from Finland. Sauna health benefits are numerous, primarily relaxing your body and mind in a way so natural, cleansing through perspiration (hyperthermic therapy)
Sauna with purpose.
A good sauna requires a properly insulated room lined with clear softwood and a calibrated Sauna heater. The heater is stacked with plenty of direct-heated stones and is capable of heating up the room to temperatures near 200°F and beyond.
Upon entering the sauna (free of all garments or wrapped in a towel) you might lay down or sit with friends, after ten or fifteen minutes a good heat up is attained. Then cooling down is the natural desire, some dive into a lake, stream or plunge pool while a cool shower or dowsing is equally refreshing. Next comes your quiet time, wrapped in towels and simply relaxing with a clear mind.
These ‘sessions’ are repeated several times, water is poured over the stones intermittently to provide gentle and moist heating and to facilitate perspiration. After a good sauna, finish up with a lite bite to eat or a wonderful nap.
Sauna health benefits
- Soothes and relaxes tired muscles
- Helps relieve mental fatigue, lift the spirits
- Relieves tension and stress
- Provides a cardiovascular workout – helps condition the heart and lungs
- Increases metabolic rate, oxygenates the blood
- Improves circulation, heals injuries
- Helps relieve arthritic pain
- Promotes healing and releases two natural painkillers – beta-endorphin and nor-epinephrine
- Increases immune system resistance to illness, and actually kills pathogens
- Burns as many as 300 calories during a normal Sauna session – as much as jogging 2-3 miles
- Helps maintain clear and healthy skin providing a rosy afterglow to the complexion
- Promotes a wonderful feeling of well-being and total body experience that no other bath can duplicate
- Adds essential function and value to your home environment
Friends and relatives share traditions, customs and sauna health benefits
Northernlight Saunas PO Box 3075 Kingston NY 12402 tel: 845 340 1745